© city-map AG ‐ Map data © OpenStreetMap contributors

Reining's Mill in Dreierwalde

image author: Stadt Hörstel

The history of the water-powered grain mill goes back to its first mention in 1720. The is the only one in the village and is tightly connected to Dreierwald's economy history. The water wheel was replaced by a turbine in 1900.
The grain mill stopped working in the 1970ties and the building is used for fodder storage only. A turbine was used to produce the mill's electricity through water power, beginning of the 1930ties. This turbine was completely renewed in the year 1990 and has the power of a 10 kW/h now. It was overhauled and the power is being optimised to 15 kW/h.

image author: Stadt Hörstel

After the former owner, Antonius Reining, had retired, the town of Hörstel took over the building in the heritable building rights. The town wants to secure the building as a piece of cultural history for the future and use it at the same time for tourist-economic purposes. The mill was restored among others with urban development funds from the state of NRW and the support by Stichting RIBO in 2004. Now it is a place for the Dreierwalder clubs, a public meeting place, training evenings and exhibitions.
This technical monument demonstrates further the usage of energy generation and water power. With the exhibition about mill history, it enriches the town's tourist infrastructure. Since the beginning of 2005, there is a branch of the registry office, which creates an increasing interest with bridal couples.

image author: Stadt Hörstel

Opening times and further information is available at the Heimatverein Dreierwalde
Telephone: 05978 353
or 05978 1201